Careers with Not-for-Profits
According to recent statistics, almost 11% of the U.S workforce works for a not-for-profit organization. When we think about not-for-profits, we often limit our perspective to a few well known organizations in our community or a few issues like homelessness or the arts. There are a vast array of different organizations and opportunities to explore that will require thought and research on your part as you consider or begin a job search.
You will be most successful if you can narrow your field of targeted organizations based on your interests and skills. Just as you would not say "I am looking for a job in ANY business", you should not feel that you are looking for a job in ANY not-for-profit. Consider the wide variety of organizations and issues involved in the broader not-for-profit sector:
- Arts and Cultural
- Social/Human Services
- Health - Disease and Disability-related, Hospitals, etc.
- Other – Housing, Environmental, Animals, Economic Development
- Schools and Educational Institutions
- Operating Foundations - who raise funds and run or fund specific programs
- Grantmaking Foundations - who distribute funds
- Associations (Trade, Service, Chambers, Greek, Professional)
- Churches, Para-church, and other Religious Organizations